This site is about my ancestors – where they came from and why they came to Australia.
I have been researching my family history since 1965 – you would think I would have finished by now but there is still a LONG way to go.
This web site is also helping me to focus on areas that need attention and also to look for ideas and assistance from readers for some of my brick walls.
The Research menu will be my blogs focussing on those brick walls – or hopefully crumbling walls!
My ancestors come from many countries including Ireland, England, France, Italy and Germany.
The surnames of my direct line paternal ancestors include FUSSEN, GENISE, McNEIFF [McCUNNIFFE], McNULTY, GIARDINA, McCAY [McKAY], MOUSLEY, SCHUBART [SCHUBERT], EHRHARD [AYCHAT], MARTIN [MARTEN] and SANDERBECK.
My maternal direct line ancestors include NIALL, JOHNSON, MUMFORD, BUSSELL, PRANGLEY, AUSTIN, STAPLETON, QUINN, MASTERS, MARSHMANN, MURRAY, POWER, DENNIS, BEANEY, NAUGHTEN, HUNT & KENNEDY.
My paternal g-grandparents [the four photos at the left in the header – L to R]:
- George FUSSEN born 1852, Tours, Indre et Loire, France [arrived about 1886]
- Mary McNEIFF born c1866, Co Sligo, Ireland [arrived 1887]
- Salvatore Pasquale Phillip GIARDINA born 1877, Palermo, Sicily, Italy [arrived 1897]
- Laura Grace McCAY born 1882, Wollombi River, Wingham, New South Wales
My paternal gg-grandparents born overseas:
- William Robert McCAY [McKAY] born c1842, Dublin, Ireland [arrived before 1873]
My paternal ggg-grandparents born overseas:
- Wilhelm SCHUBART born 1825, Epfenbach, Baden, Germany [arrived 1853]
- Eva Catharine MARTIN born c1822, Heidelberg, Germany [arrived 1853]
My maternal g-grandparents [the four photos at the right in the header – L to R]:
- Charles NIALL born 1865, Leybourn, Queensland
- Bridget Agnes STAPLETON born 1864, Paterson, New South Wales
- Stephen James MURRAY born 1871, West Maitland, New South Wales
- Ellen MURRAY born 1868, Armidale, New South Wales
My maternal gg-grandparents born overseas:
- James NIALL born 1827 Bethnal Green, London, England [arrived 1861]
- Martha BUSSELL born 1838, Fordington, Dorset, England [arrived c1861-1863]
- Thomas STAPLETON born c1792-1797, Kilkenny, Ireland [convict arrived 1830]
- Eliza MASTERS born c1826, Southampton, Hampshire, England [daughter of convict arrived 1838]
- Michael MURRAY born 1838, Tallow, Co Waterford, Ireland [arrived c1858]
- John MURRAY born c1826, Strokestown, Co Roscommon, Ireland [arrived 1849]
- Margaret NAUGHTEN born c1834, Strokestown, Co Roscommon, Ireland [arrived 1840]
My maternal ggg-grandparents born overseas:
- William DENNIS born c1806-1810, England [arrived 1838]
- Winifred BEANEY born c1814-1817, Sussex, England [arrived 1838]
In setting out my ancestor arrivals above it’s already obvious where I need to focus some more research!